Big advantage of the PVSS Web Client

Discussion about recent product features & solutions!
Search

17 posts • Page 1 of 2
smass

Big advantage of the PVSS Web Client

Post by smass »

Did you know about the big advantage of the PVSS Web Client? :

Apart from the fact that it runs in a webbrowser, the panel files, message catalogs and config-files of the server are locally cached at the client and automatically kept up to date!
No need to copy any files manually.

Even if you use a Standard User Interface instead of the WebClient, you can call it with the following option to also use the caching mechanism (you must have the http-server for the PVSS Web Client running on the server side):

PVSS00ui -server

Apart from the caching mechanism another advantage is, that you need no network-share for the files and no open ports for the event- and datamanager in your firewall because the connection is established via port 80.

"Share the fun!"

martijn.goedhart@croonwolterendros.nl

Re: Big advantage of the PVSS Web Client

Post by martijn.goedhart@croonwolterendros.nl »

Dear Sebastian,

It would be good to let people know that a license is needed for the use of the HTTP-connection.

With regards,

Martijn Goedhart

smass

Post by smass »

Thank you for your input Martijn!

You need one webclient license for each webclient you want to use simultaneously
(just similar to the usual UI licensing - you have to use a floating UI license for every UI you want to use at the same time)

For the http-server to which the webclients connect, you need only ONE license on the machine where the control-manager for the http-server is running (not a license for every connection)

jasondonovan

Post by jasondonovan »

Dear Sebastian

I have implemented -server option for all our Clients and Webclients and am impressed.
This saves me implementing other methods to update panels/msg/etc etc. prior to this I had batch files running between servers/clients

Only issue I have with the webclient would be to have a more friendly interface as standard for when the number of licenses used from the 'server' has been exceeded/used.
Operators find this difficult to understand.
I have implemented a script to auto logout webclients after an inactivity delay, only if they operate in a web browser.

Jason

kdroog4pvss

Post by kdroog4pvss »

Sebastian,

On the web client all files of all subprojects and the project are merged into one folder structure. How will this influence the config files, eg. config.level? Will a webclient load all the necessary libraries?

smass

Post by smass »

jason Donovan wrote:
Dear Sebastian

I have implemented -server option for all our Clients and Webclients and am impressed.
This saves me implementing other methods to update panels/msg/etc etc. prior to this I had batch files running between servers/clients

Only issue I have with the webclient would be to have a more friendly interface as standard for when the number of licenses used from the 'server' has been exceeded/used.
Operators find this difficult to understand.
I have implemented a script to auto logout webclients after an inactivity delay, only if they operate in a web browser.

Jason
Thank you for your input Jason, i'll take this into account.
Your script for the auto logout might be a good article for our "Lab" in the Portal - do you want to participate? ;-)

Sebastian

jasondonovan

Post by jasondonovan »

Yes, no problem.
How shall I send this?

mkoller

Post by mkoller »

The HTTP Server always merges all config/config.level/config.redu/... files as needed and sends this to the client.
Have a look into the clients /config/config file and you'll find the merged config file with delimiter lines between the
separate files on the server, e.g.:
## /opt/pvss/pvss2_v3.9/config/config.level ##

The merging is done inside the HTTP Server script - you can have a look into the getConfig() function.

smass

Post by smass »

jason Donovan wrote:
Yes, no problem.
How shall I send this?
Great!
Zip it and send it to sebastian.massinger@etm.at
Maybe you could add a short discription if you have one..

Thanks in advance!
Sebastian

thalter

Post by thalter »

Does the PC clock on the client and server PC still has to be synchronized?

17 posts • Page 1 of 2